A Brief History
On 13 April 1899 George Tallis, Chairman of the Cemetery Committee, opened Brandwood End Cemetery, which was administered by Kings Norton Rural District Council. With the extension of Birmingham’s boundaries in 1911, the cemetery came under the administration of the Birmingham City Corporation. The cemetery was gradually extended over the years and is now some 53 acres, 2 of which were sold in 1919 to the Jewish Community.
The grounds are a fine example of a Victorian landscaped cemetery with avenues of Scots Pine, Cypress and Wellingtonia. This magnificent planting earned the cemetery a Grade II listing in the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England in 2001.
The cemetery has Gothic style mortuary chapels, which were added to the statutory list of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest in 1997.
There is a memorial wall situated by the War Cross Memorial adjacent to the public graves where a Single or Double Wall Plaque in memory of a loved one can be purchased. Application packs and further details are available on request via the Cemetery office.
Memorial benches may be purchased in memory of a loved one. They may be placed in a chosen spot within the cemetery grounds in consultation with a member of the office staff. Only benches purchased through the cemetery office will be permitted within the cemetery grounds.
The public toilets are situated in the building opposite the Lodge.
Intepretation boards also show you maps of the cemetery to help you locate sections within the cemetery grounds.
We often need to write to grave owners and it would be beneficial if grave owners could notify Bereavements Dept at the Kings Norton Office (details below) of any change of address details to ensure letters are forwarded to the correct address.
Please be aware that no dogs with the exception of guide dogs are permitted in the cemetery, even if the dog is restrained by a lead.
The Bereavement Services Office and records for Brandwood End Cemetery have now been relocated to Kings Norton Cemetery.
Our telephone number is 0121 303 5583. Any post should be addressed to Brandwood End Cemetery, c/o Kings Norton Cemetery, Longdales Road, Kings Norton, Birmingham. B38 9BU
We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.